Website traffic statistics
Pages viewed and unique visitors to WCN Online
Month/
year
Page
views
Unique
visitors
Sep '17685,28725,490
Aug '17947,20130,169
Jul '17688,12024,645
Jun '17710,85423,452
May '17809,49122,808
Apr '17600,63723,897
Mar '17664,10026,870
Feb '17511,81924,889
Jan '17597,53831,368
Dec '16692,56026,566
Nov '16672,32528,904
Oct '16558,87820,127
Sep '16528,03820,578
Aug '16482,16818,484
Jul '16461,78816,728
Jun '16452,25720,350
May '16522,07718,502
Apr '16433,09116,773
Mar '16454,71616,488
Feb '16479,59014,371
Jan '16529,85415,815
Dec '15492,60218,837
Nov '15353,00820,085
Oct '15417,35713,005
Sep '15355,91215,297
Aug '15411,40314,704
Jul '15354,72013,342
Jun '15417,67319,164
May '15580,07721,606
Apr '15376,62021,696
Mar '15339,35123,090
Feb '15332,08421,684
Jan '15322,89225,157
Dec '14356,31821,346
Nov '14366,08923,187
Oct '14357,83324,423
Sep '14401,28320,054
Aug '14372,89715,248
Jul '14358,38815,902
Jun '14320,07316,212
May '14388,06821,008
Apr '14341,87020,693
Mar '14313,31919,996
Feb '14271,67916,435
Jan '14200,47419,854
Dec '1393,03315,996
Nov '1392,26117,397
Oct '1389,71817,456
Sep '1394,33018,762
Aug '13102,80416,609
Jul '1382,65216,167
Jun '1388,37417,497
May '13104,17220,211
Apr '1397,46219,191
Mar '13115,84721,047
Feb '13102,19020,176
Jan '13120,44421,077
Dec '12110,79719,692
Nov '12103,45821,428
Oct '1290,41919,012
Sep '1299,50420,003
Aug '12111,41120,782
Jul '12110,15420,259
Jun '12106,61220,830
May '12120,22120,940
Apr '1280,45617,069
Mar '12103,54521,411
Feb '1293,23421,162
Jan '1285,53419,807
Dec '1182,36615,345
Nov '1181,83620,021
Oct '1179,78019,855
Sep '1162,05814,726
Aug '1155,77813,859
Jul '1166,33614,504
Jun '1180,32018,321
May '1184,29219,675
Apr '11194,02719,022
Mar '11127,03417,375
Feb '1165,99614,928
Jan '1167,05315,578

WorldCargo News the world's leading resource for international cargo professionals
CLICK HERE for our FREE weekly eNewsletter
Search: 

Published: 7 August 2010      

José Mestre on drugs charges

The managing director of Spanish port operator Tercat was detained by the police at the end of June for alleged drug smuggling offences. Speculation in Spain in rife as to what Hutchison will do next

Hutchison Port Holdings bought a 70% stake in Terminal de Catalunya (Tercat), the Barcelona-based container terminal operator, from the Mestre family in May 2006, with an option to acquire the remaining 30% should it wish to do so.

Hutchison took over the existing terminal and then Tercat won the concession to develop and operate a new container terminal at Moll Prat, the new development zone of the Barcelona port authority (APB).

Following the arrest Hutchison replaced Mestre as managing director of Tercat with Guillermo Belcastro, the company's finance director.

Whether this can protect Tercat's reputation from further damage is open to question, given the gravity of the charges against Mestre. He is accused of using the facility to import 200kg of pure cocaine, discovered in three 20ft containers with cast iron ingots from Argentina and with a "street value" of E100M.

Hutchison would be within its rights to cancel the original contract that it signed with the Mestre family, since it could have had no idea the terminal was allegedly being used for illegal activities.

However, José Mestre's assets have been frozen, which could mean Hutchison could lose out to other creditors were the company to be wound up.

It also begs the question about the future of Moll Prat, where Tercat is investing E500M in an automated terminal covering 100 hectares and has awarded contracts for the cranes and yard systems.

Hutchison would be equally within its rights to exercise its option to take control of the outstanding 30% at equity at zero cost, arguing that Mestre had reneged on terms in the original contract and that the illegal use of the terminal had undermined the existing value of its own equity.

For its part, APB has made it clear that Mestre's arrest need not impact negatively on the concession, since HPH remains the majority shareholder.


To find out more about WorldCargo News:
  • Click here to order a back issue
  • Click here to subscribe to WorldCargo News
  • Click here for a sample back-issue of WorldCargo News
  • Read related items
    Click on the links below to read other news and features related to this item.
  • Europe) Spain) Barcelona
  • Europe) Spain) Spain Port developments
  • Hutchison Port Holdings
  • Tercat
  • Terminal de Catalunya
  • Appointments
  • Legal and regulatory


  • All contents © WCN Publishing, 24 Bridge Street, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8BX, England.