Valencia awards construction tender

News

The Port of Valencia has awarded a €489m contract for the construction of its new North Terminal.

The Board of Directors at the Port of Valencia has awarded the contract to a consortium led by Acciona Construcción, S.A. that includes Jan de Nul NV and Grupo Bertolín, S.A.U.

The terminal will be built behind the northern breakwater completed in 2012. It will have an area of around 137 hectares with 1,970m of container berth to support a capacity of up to 5m TEU. The terminal area will be built mainly using dredge material from the ports of Valencia and Sagunto.

“The project meets the most advanced international standards of efficiency, connectivity, and environmental sustainability. Upon completion of the project, the Port Authority of Valencia will provide operators with a new, innovative, flexible and sustainable public container terminal that will accommodate the largest, next-generation vessels.

“Acconia has extensive experience in port works, such as the construction of the second phase of the New Container Terminal at the Port of Cadiz, the extension of the adjacent quay at the Port of Barcelona, the construction of the Port of Ferrol, and the Port of Açu (Brazil). Acconia has designed and built more than 50 ports around the world. To achieve this, it uses the Kugira floating caisson dock, a flagship of port engineering and one of the largest in the world,” Acconia said in a statement.

The total cost of the new terminal estimated to be €1.57 billion. The Valencia Port Authority has previously said it is financing 31% of the cost with the other 69% coming from its terminal operator, which is MSC’s TiL.

You just read one of our articles for free

To continue reading, subscribe to WorldCargo News

By subscribing you will have:

  • Access to all regular and exclusive content
  • Discount on selected events
  • Full access to the entire digital archive
  • 10x per year Digital Magazine

SUBSCRIBE or, if you are already a member Log In

 

Having problems logging in? Call +31(0)10 280 1000 or send an email to customerdesk@worldcargonews.com.