Google Plus
Linked In
Back Issues
Newsletter Sign Up
Back Issues
Newsletter Sign Up
World Cargo News
Bulk Materials International
Filter content by area of interest
Ports & Terminals
Port AuthoritiesContainerBulkBreakbulk/General CargoRo-Ro/AutomotiveGTOs
Cargo Handling Equipment
STS CranesYard CranesMobile CHERo-Ro EquipmentBreakbulk EquipmentLow ThroughputBulk Handling Equipment
Shipping & Logistics
Container ShippingBreakbulk/General CargoRo-Ro ShippingDry Bulk ShippingLiquid cargoesLogistics
TOSPlanning & Optimisation TechnologyWiFiMobile ComputingPort Community SystemsAsset Tracking & Monitoring
Automated EquipmentGate AutomationRemote ControlProcess Automation
RailInland WaterwaysShortsea ShippingRoadAir-Cargo
Container Industry
Container manufactureContainer leasingRepair/StorageTradingConversion/Innovation
Operations/TransportContainer leasingEquipmentM&R/Storage
General cargoProject Cargo/Heavy LiftForest productsRo-Ro/AutomotiveAgribulks
Safety & Security
InsuranceHazardous cargoLashings/SecuringLegal/Regulatory
Civil Engineering
Port & terminal construction/designCivil & Consulting EngineersDredging & ReclamationMooring & FenderingLightingPaving & Surfacing
InsuranceLegal/RegulatoryAppointments/PeopleMergers/Acquisitions/RestructuringFinance/Financial ResultsTrade & Professional AssociationsBusiness/Commerce Miscellaneous
 View all Topics View all Topics A-Z
More View all Topics View all Topics A-Z

You are viewing 1 of your 1 guest articles

register  or  login  for full access to online news

Transneft gains control over Russia’s largest port operating group

Transneft, Russia’s state-owned oil company, states that it has increased its stake in Russia’s biggest port operator Novorossiysk Commercial Seaport (NMTP) by 25%, to 60.62%

Linked InTwitterFacebookeCard

The remaining shares are held by Russia’s Federal Property Agency (20%) and other minority holders.


To achieve this situation, Transneft has acquired a 50% stake in Novoport Holding (NH), a Cyprus-registered company that controls 50.12% of NMTP, from its former partner, Summa group, owned by the still-imprisoned-without-trial Ziyavudin Magomedov.


Thus Transneft now owns 100% of NH and 50.12% of NMTP. In addition, as affiliated Transneft-Service holds 10.5% in NMTP, its overall stake is 60.62%.


According to Transneft, it has financed the US$750M purchase from borrowed funds - it took out a large loan from Russia’s Sberbank at the beginning of 2018.


In addition to Novorossiysk port itself, NMTP group also comprises NovorosLesExport (NLE), Novorossiysk Grain Terminal, Novorossiysk Ship Repairing Yard, NMTP Fleet, Baltic Stevedoring Company, Primorsk Commercial Seaport and some other minor operations


During H1 2018, NMTP’s net profits decreased by 43% year on year to US$140.3M, while revenues increased by 7% to US$480.5M. Last year, the group handled 143.5 Mt of various cargoes compared with 146.9 Mt in 2016.


Since Ziyavudin Magomedov’s detention began on 31 March, the future of Summa’s assets and would-be alliances has been a topic of market gossip. Two years ago Transneft’s Board Chairman and President Nikolay Tokarev indicated a possible withdrawal from NMTP, but the situation has changed entirely. FAS’ head Igor Artemyev suggested Rosneft should acquire interest in buying Summa’s stake in NMTP to prevent Transneft taking control.


Now, as the transaction has been finally completed, Summa has expressed satisfaction with its eight-year-long cooperation with Transneft, as well as the deal results. While the threat of confiscation of all Ziyavudin Magomedov’s property by the court remains, it is believed that the bargain has been struck by authorised representatives of the detained billionaire.



Linked InTwitterFacebookeCard

You may also be interested in...

DoD deal for ORBCOMM and Savi Technology

Pineapples land at Tampa

Closing the loop on reefer monitoring

MDC Terminal gearing up

Crane run for DP World Australia

Reefer demand to boom

Related Stories

24/7 automated customs clearance in Dunkirk

Following a request by DSV, customs declarations can be made round-the-clock eve...

People on the move – changes at the top of Unifeeder

The Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Advisory Board of Unifeeder have been repl...

ARUP fingers reverse modal shift as a source of poor air quality in UK ports

Although the ARUP report on air quality for the UK Major Ports Group has not yet...

Hansa Heavy Lift declares insolvency

Hansa Heavy Lift, Hamburg, a subsidiary company of US finance investor Oaktree C...
Linked In

© 2018 WCN Publishing Ltd
24 Bridge Street, Leatherhead,
Surrey KT22 8BX, England.

Linked In