Filter content by area of interest
Ports & Terminals
Port AuthoritiesContainerBulkBreakbulk/General CargoRo-Ro/AutomotiveGTOs
Cargo Handling Equipment
STS CranesYard CranesMobile CHERo-Ro EquipmentBreakbulk EquipmentLow ThroughputBulk Handling Equipment
Shipping & Logistics
Container ShippingBreakbulk/General CargoRo-Ro ShippingDry Bulk ShippingLiquid cargoesLogistics
ICT
TOSPlanning & Optimisation TechnologyWiFiMobile ComputingPort Community SystemsAsset Tracking & Monitoring
Automation
Automated EquipmentGate AutomationRemote ControlProcess Automation
Multimodal
RailInland WaterwaysShortsea ShippingRoadAir-Cargo
Container Industry
Container manufactureContainer leasingRepair/StorageTradingConversion/Innovation
Refrigeration
Operations/TransportContainer leasingEquipmentM&R/Storage
Breakbulk
General cargoProject Cargo/Heavy LiftForest productsRo-Ro/AutomotiveAgribulks
Safety & Security
InsuranceHazardous cargoLashings/SecuringLegal/Regulatory
Civil Engineering
Port & terminal construction/designCivil & Consulting EngineersDredging & ReclamationMooring & FenderingLightingPaving & Surfacing
Environment
Business
InsuranceLegal/RegulatoryAppointments/PeopleMergers/Acquisitions/RestructuringFinance/Financial ResultsTrade & Professional AssociationsBusiness/Commerce Miscellaneous
 View all Topics View all Topics A-Z
More View all Topics View all Topics A-Z

You are viewing 1 of your 1 guest articles


register  or  login  for full access to online news

UN-ECLAC publishes its 2017 Latin America/Caribbean container port rankings

Throughput of containerised cargo in the ports of Latin America and the Caribbean rose around 6.1% in 2017, according to data released today by UN-ECLAC in its latest Maritime and Logistics Profile

Linked InTwitterFacebookGoogle Plus

Santiago de Chile: "This average figure points to a rebound versus the last three years, when low or negative growth rates in container throughput were recorded at a regional level," says UN-ECLAC.

 

"The data confirm the improvement in Latin America and the Caribbean’s foreign trade in 2017 as well as the heterogeneity of growth rates in activity among the region’s ports."

 

The countries whose container port terminals contributed the most to the change in cargo volume versus the previous year are (from greatest to smallest, according to their relative change): the Dominican Republic (24.0%), Colombia (13.3%), Mexico (12.2%), Panama (10.1%) and Brazil (5.0%). They are followed by, with a smaller contribution to the rise in regional volume but notable relative changes in terms of individual performance: Honduras (9.8%), Peru (9.4%), Argentina (6.7%), Uruguay (5.8%), Chile (5.7%) and Ecuador (4.7%). Finally, those countries that also had a significant performance on an individual level, but marginal participation in the regional volume variation, are: Suriname (13.9%), Grenada (11.6%) and Nicaragua (9.5%).

Source: CEPAL Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (UN-ECLAC)
Source: CEPAL Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (UN-ECLAC)

The total volume of activity in 2017 reached around 50.6M TEU. The first 40 ports in the ranking represent a little more than 87% (or 44M TEU). The 100 ports that follow move the remaining 13% (6.6M TEU.

 

The top 10 ports accounted for 48.2% of containerised cargo in 2017, up from 47.4% in 2016.

The top 10 were in 2017

 

Colón, Panamá - 3.891M TEU

Santos, Brazil - 3.578M TEU

Balboa, Panama - 2.987M TEU

Manzanillo, México - 2.830m TEU

Cartagena, Colombia - 2.678M TEU

Callao, Peru - 2.250m TEU

Guayaquil, Ecuador - 1.872M TEU

Kingston, Jamaica - 1.560M TEU

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 1.469M TEU

San Antonio, Chile - 1.297M TEU

 

So, as against the 2016 results, Santos and Colón swapped places at the top. The other eight rankings were unchanged.

Linked InTwitterFacebookGoogle Plus

You may also be interested in...

Soft touch for Kloosterboer

Full speed ahead for Savannah

MACS3 for Zhonghu Shipping

New thinking on RTGs from Künz

Pushing for standards for terminal automation

Indian reforms to boost trade

Related Stories

Everett breaks ground on South Terminal

The Port of Everett held a groundbreaking ceremony to mark construction of the P...

Kalmar wins RMG order as DCT takes to the rails

Kalmar will supply DCT Gdansk with three widespan RMGs for its intermodal yard,...

Westports increases container tariff

Average increase of 13% on “key container tariff items” to take effect from 1 Ma...
Linked In
Twitter